Mabank Independent School District
Gun Barrel City is part of the Mabank Independent School District. The district serves approximately 3,500 students PK-12th grade from three counties; Henderson, Kaufman and Van Zandt. The district is comprised of six campuses. Mabank High School has “Met Standard”, the highest designation by the Texas Education Agency, every year 2010-2018. All campuses earned three or more Distinctions including awards for Post-Secondary Readiness and Closing Performance Gaps. Mabank Junior High was recognized as a Title I Award School receiving both eligible awards: High Performing and High Progress.
Teachers work collaboratively in Professional Learning Communities (PLC) that serve as job-embedded learning opportunities to inquire, research and create responses to data which lead to higher student achievement. Every classroom curriculum, from PreK-12, is designed to promote real-world readiness. The class of 2019 had an overall graduation rate of 98.7%.
Mabank High School also boasts a growing dual credit and Advanced Placement program. The campus offers 27 dual-credit enrollment opportunities equivalent to 83 college hours and 11 AP courses.
Other Area Public Schools
- Eustace Independent School District
- Kemp Independent School District
- Trinidad Independent School District
- Malakoff Independent School District
- Open Doors Christian Academy - Privately owned Christian school serving grades K-12, located in Gun Barrel City.
- Athens Christian Preparatory Academy - Privately owned Christian school serving grades k-12, located in Athens.
- Kaufman Christian School - Privately owned Christian school serving grades PK-12, located in Kaufman.
Trinity Valley Community College
The Athens campus of Trinity Valley Community College has been providing higher education to students since 1945. TVCC has four campuses in the tri-county area (Athens, Kaufman, Terrell, and Palestine), two of which are less than a thirty-minute travel time from Gun Barrel City. TVCC offers associates degrees and certificates in a range of fields. The Aspen Institute College Excellence Program named TVCC for the fourth consecutive time as one of the nation’s top 150 community colleges–from over 1,108 community colleges nationwide.
The Corsicana campus of Navarro College, established in 1946, sees nearly 3,000 students enrolled per semester.